Thursday, August 28, 2008

Play Dough Meets Modern Art

The Art of Play Dough

Who knew that a four year old could do so much with play dough. I've been making this for my boys for a decade now. It all started with the big boy. I'd make a double batch with multiple colors. Now I just make one batch with one or two colors. Let's face it. It all turns brown in 5 minutes. It dries out even faster. But it is so much better than the store bought stuff.

Tuesday I had a request for play dough from my little one and went to work right away. I went for bright orange. This is what came out of the morning of play. He meticulously placed each piece and painted the top with blue, yellow, and orange glitter paint. He was quite proud. The next day he soaked all of the pieces in a bowl of soapy water. I put two towels on the floor where he played and cleaned for 45 minutes.

I've been busy watching the Olympics and then the convention. I thought this could be my excuse for not posting in a while. Besides, who doesn't want to show off their kids talent?

Homemade Play Dough

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
1 cup water
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp oil
food coloring

Place all of the ingredients in a nonstick sauce pan. On medium/low heat begin stirring until the ingredients form a ball. Your kids will love this part because the food coloring makes your kid think you can do magic. My guys love it when I plop the dough on it. They both grab a pot holder and proceed to their art table and start to create.

Enjoy.

No comments: