Thursday, December 4, 2008

Spaghetti Squash a la Allison


Believe it or not, I still cook. I haven't posted since September. School started then and honestly it has taken me this long to get my act together. Luckily, I have tons of pictures just waiting for me to tell all. All five of us, that is, but that isn't what is important, right?

I have a new favorite. Winter squash. I got tired of pasta with sauce. I thought it was time to expand our horizons. For our weekly pasta night, I've included spaghetti squash in the mix. I still make pasta of course. The boys aren't enamoured like I am. So, I make a small squash and bake it in the microwave. I added our favorite pasta sauce and greens. What is even better in this meal is that the greens are fresh from my garden.

To make squash....
Microwave for one minute.
Cut the squash in half and take out seeds.
Drizzle olive oil on the halves and some salt and pepper.
You can bake it for about half an hour until soft. You may also microwave for about 12 minutes or until soft.

For greens if you choose.
While the squash is baking, roughly chop about 6 leaves of your favorite greens. I have kale, cauliflower, and broccoli greens here
Saute with olive oil and a splash balsamic vinegar until just dark green. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sauce.
Heat the sauce.
I added some cannellini beans to mine.

Once the squash is done cooking, use a fork to pull the squash from the sides. Pour the sauce on top and add greens.

Dinner in about 30 minutes. It is so pretty you feel like you really accomplished something.

No comments: