Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rainy Day Honey Whole Wheat Bread

I love making bread. Last year when the prices of everything started going up I decided I needed to get crafty. These guys are toast maniacs. At $4 for an organic loaf of bread something needed to give. I woke up one morning and decided it was time to figure out how to make my own. Just recently I found Baking in America and this book has given me the best loaves of bread by far.

I recommend the Honey Whole Wheat Bread, Buttermilk, Wheat and Rye bread, and Buttermilk Wheat Germ Bread. I've adapted them all to be non-dairy. I can make buttermilk by adding a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to any nondairy beverage. The combination of cider and milks will curdle to make a quick non-dairy buttermilk. This process can be started while you are gathering all of the other ingredients for your bread.

I'm relieved that the weather is a bit cooler. I made everyone miserable all summer heating this house up. My only saving grace is how good it smells and the end result. Delicious toast and sandwiches. There is nothing more gratifying that having the loaf turn out just right.

No comments: