Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's Fall Ya'll Banana Muffins


My friend Deb called and left me a message the other day with a very specific request: "Muffins." Apparently she's ready for baking and I'm her go to gal.

I searched through all of my cookbooks and decided on this yummy Banana Bread recipe from Veganomicon. You can't really go wrong with this book. There is something for everyone. Even better there were directions for turning the bread into muffins. Perfect. Frankly these were the best banana muffins I've ever made. Thanks Veganomicon.

I made these for my gang and 30 minutes later there were 2 left. I saved those for lunch boxes the next day.

I also added a small pinch of allspice and cloves to the mix and decorated the tops with pecan halves.

Banana Muffins


2 large and ripe bananas
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp molasses
2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease muffin pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas.
3. Add sugar, applesauce, oil, and molasses to the applesauce and whisk briskly to combine.
4. Sift in the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.
5. Add the batter to the muffin tins. You can put a pecan on top of the wet batter at this point. I got exactly a dozen muffins filling to about 1/2 full.
6. Bake for 18 minutes and a knife should come out clean to let you know they are done cooking.
7. Remove from oven and remove the muffins onto a cooling rack.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! These are just what I was looking for. Totally yummers and so perfect for Fall breakfast, lunch boxes and snacks. MWAH!!!!
Love the pecan on top, too!