Monday, September 21, 2009

Red Lentil Crispy Tacos


Red lentils are my go to quick dinner ingredient. Having recently started subbing at our school part time, fast meals on these nights make my day end on a lighter note. Tacos are fast and it is one of those meals where I don't get complaints from anyone. I can usually get dinner on the table in about 40 minutes.


Even better, I can fill these tacos up with lots of vegetables that otherwise wouldn't get eaten. Tristan doesn't care for zucchini, carrots, and onion. He says he's happy to eat them when he can't see them. Go figure. They are great with either crispy taco shells or tortillas as soft tacos. The term kid friendly is kind of funny. What my kid may enjoy may not be what other kids like, but I'm always up for a good experiment.

Red Lentil Taco Filling

1/2 finely chopped medium onion
1 grated carrot
1/2 grated zucchini
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin
1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
      or favorite greens of choice

1. If you're using crispy taco shells start heating them in the oven according to package directions.
2. Finely chop the onion and add to a skillet. When the onions begin to start getting clear add the carrots and zucchini. Cook until they begin to get soft.
3. Add the spices and stir into the veggies.
4. Add the lentils and stir.
5. Add the water and bring to boil. Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer, add the spinach and cook the lentils until soft.
You may have to add water so check on them frequently.
6. I also chop up green onions, tomatoes and lettuce to use as toppings. Oddly enough, Tristan has started to enjoy green onions.
7. Cheese or non-dairy cheese is optional. I've added it directly to the taco mixture or as a topping.

No comments: